NewerLook 2 is a simple-to-use application that improves the look of your desktop. It is a collection of many desktop enchancements, including:
- New 3D set of WIMP sprites, including new 3D file icons. Many are 3D and coloured, using dithering, which stops the recent "greyification" of the desktop.
- New window tools (which, to the untrained eye, may look similar to NewLook's).
- Standardised popping-in of icons - now all icons, including option/radio, arrows, window tools and action icons pops in to a slightly darker colour than when not popped in.
- AddSprites, a module that stops badly-behaved applications from replacing your WIMP sprites with their own. It also forces applications to use the standard WIMP option, radio, arrow and menu sprites in their windows wherever possible.
- New disc-based resource filer (not RISC OS 3.5).
- Extended backdrop features including gridlock tiles and configurable lightening (which allows you to have coloured backdrops).
- Much better-looking configurable sprite-dragging module. Also forces applications that don't drag sprites to do so (including the RISC OS 3.1 pinboard).
- New windows for many applications, including much-improved toolboxes for Paint, Draw etc.
- Smarter hourglass.
- 3D Error Window - this is compatible with the RISC OS 3.5+ extended error system, even on RISC OS 3.1. It also tells you exactly why you should insert a disc when it asks you to.
- Cute computer initialisation window.
- And other such gubbins.
Release 2 of NewerLook provides an easy new method of installing, and is compatible with RISC OS versions 3.1 to 3.7. A hard disc is also required for full installation.
NewerLook is freeware, and you can download it from here. If you want to check out what it looks like first, you can also look at a mini-screenshot showing NewerLook running. This is a 256-colour high-resolution GIF which should be viewed in such a display mode, but NewerLook has a full set of sprites for low-resolution 16-colour modes too.
A screenshot of NewerLook in action (38K)
The NewerLook release 2.06 archive (683K)
Go up to DoggySoft main page
Andrew Clover, DoggySoft Ltd.